media overload
After spending a few days glued to the computer, I've decided to start self-imposing limits on internet time. After a certain point, media consumption deteriorates from responsible information-gathering to political pornography. I'll still be posting updates and thoughts, but I'm turning over data provision to the following sources:
Anthony Shadid, at the Washington Post
Brian Whitaker, at The Guardian
The Daily Star, Lebanon's English language daily
This Lebanese blog. I can't vouch for the reliability of the info, but it's at least on-the-ground in Beirut.
Also, CNN has a really informative 30 min video interview with the Lebanese PM Fouad Sinoria where he skirts the question about denouncing Hizbollah and insists that responding to it requires a corresponding engagement on the Israel-Palestine issue (Title: "Lebanon PM: Lebanon 'cut to pieces'"). I'm inclined to agree, with that assertion, and with his insistence that, before any discussion takes place, the immediate violence needs to stop. Like much of the Arab press, I'm enormously annoyed with the US's obstruction of UN effort to denounce Israeli attacks and move towards a cease fire.
To follow up on my previous post, opinion on Hizbollah remains divided, both in Lebanon, and in other Arab states. Although all Arab countries (and, let's be honest, everyone in the world except the US) has fully denounced the extremity of the Israeli reaction, a lot of them are also criticizing Hizbollah for its "adventurism." One thing to keep in mind, though, is the identity of these denouncers: Saudi Arabia, a Sunni state (Hizballah is Shi'a); Jordan, a state that has consistently aligned itself with the West; and Egypt, a government that has a domestic interest in undermining the independence and influence of non-state actors. Simply put, there are a lot of interests at work here.
Iran is pretty much the only state that has thrown full support behind Hizbollah. Even the Syrian government has been fairly tempered in its response. Ministers expressed some support, but are also distancing themselves. As for the public, yes, there were bands of cars careening through the capital last night, honking and waving Hizbollah flags. However, when you got a look at the make of the cars and how much hair product the flag-wavers were using, it became very clear that the "rallies" as much about getting out on a Friday night and seeing-and-being-seen as expressions of genuine political conviction.
I think everyone here is still waiting to see which way the cat will jump. Meanwhile, as I just heard from a friend of mine in Beirut, who has been listening to bombardments and living with intermittent electricity, water, and internet connections, the Lebanese and northern Israeli civilians are bearing the brunt of the violence.
Anthony Shadid, at the Washington Post
Brian Whitaker, at The Guardian
The Daily Star, Lebanon's English language daily
This Lebanese blog. I can't vouch for the reliability of the info, but it's at least on-the-ground in Beirut.
Also, CNN has a really informative 30 min video interview with the Lebanese PM Fouad Sinoria where he skirts the question about denouncing Hizbollah and insists that responding to it requires a corresponding engagement on the Israel-Palestine issue (Title: "Lebanon PM: Lebanon 'cut to pieces'"). I'm inclined to agree, with that assertion, and with his insistence that, before any discussion takes place, the immediate violence needs to stop. Like much of the Arab press, I'm enormously annoyed with the US's obstruction of UN effort to denounce Israeli attacks and move towards a cease fire.
To follow up on my previous post, opinion on Hizbollah remains divided, both in Lebanon, and in other Arab states. Although all Arab countries (and, let's be honest, everyone in the world except the US) has fully denounced the extremity of the Israeli reaction, a lot of them are also criticizing Hizbollah for its "adventurism." One thing to keep in mind, though, is the identity of these denouncers: Saudi Arabia, a Sunni state (Hizballah is Shi'a); Jordan, a state that has consistently aligned itself with the West; and Egypt, a government that has a domestic interest in undermining the independence and influence of non-state actors. Simply put, there are a lot of interests at work here.
Iran is pretty much the only state that has thrown full support behind Hizbollah. Even the Syrian government has been fairly tempered in its response. Ministers expressed some support, but are also distancing themselves. As for the public, yes, there were bands of cars careening through the capital last night, honking and waving Hizbollah flags. However, when you got a look at the make of the cars and how much hair product the flag-wavers were using, it became very clear that the "rallies" as much about getting out on a Friday night and seeing-and-being-seen as expressions of genuine political conviction.
I think everyone here is still waiting to see which way the cat will jump. Meanwhile, as I just heard from a friend of mine in Beirut, who has been listening to bombardments and living with intermittent electricity, water, and internet connections, the Lebanese and northern Israeli civilians are bearing the brunt of the violence.

3 Comments:
Keep the posts coming. And stay safe.
Thank you for your note. I think both your Mom and toni have expressed our thoughts as well. Keep safe...HUGS! Pam and John
Stay safe, Emily.
Post a Comment
<< Home