the wild east
There were two things at the top of my Syrian sightseeing list: castles (check) and the Euphrates. The latter is dissertation-inspired. If I study international river politics and focus on the Middle East, it's the top candidate for a case study. Also, I can't quite shake that fifth grade social studies class about the Fertile Crescent and the "Cradle of Civilizations." I figured I might as well see it in person.
So, I abandoned the (relatively) well-trodden tourist path and headed East. As I got further from Aleppo, a suspicion became a certainty: Damascus is not Syria. The East is mostly rural agricultural communities: poor, more conservative dress (for women and men), more Bedouin, and more 4-legged transport.
In Deir ez-Zour, where I spent the night, I couldn't have stood out more if I had grown a second head. It's a larger city, so there is more activity and fewer veils. But single, American females there are not. Being a curiosity had some interesting consequences. Lots of stares, but little hassling. Free peaches in the market and a free cab ride!
Plus plenty of attention from the police. As soon as we arrived at the Deir ez-Zour terminal, I was escorted off my bus and into a cubicle for questioning. The interrogations weren't aggressive or hostile; this is simply how foreign travel in Syria works. But the list of questions does get longer once you leave the Damascus-Aleppo corridor. In addition to the usual "where are you coming from, where are
you going, what are your mother and father's names," this time I got "why are you here, how long will you stay, and in what hotel?"
Happily, I hadn't done anything illegal. Yet. Saved that for the next day, when I broke into some historic monuments.
Really, it wasn't my fault. I got an early start for Deir Europos, an ancient town on the banks of the Euphrates, about 50 km from the Iraqi border. Heading south-east, the landscape got progressively bleaker: flatter, browner, and rockier. A thick haze half-blocked the sun, giving everything a wan, sickly look. Just as I was thinking, "Can it get any more deserted or desolate?" the bus slowed. The driver gestured towards some dark lumps in the distance: "Deir Europos."

To my sanity's credit, I did consider immediately catching the next bus back to town. But I had come to see the Euphrates and, by God, that's what I was going to do!
I started walking. Happily, the haze dulled the heat. The lumps slowly resolved into broad walls and an impressive stone tower, with a locked iron gate. An unmanned ticket office stood in an empty parking lot. A man unlocked the gate and emerged from the ruins. He told me the booth would open at 9:00 a.m. It was 8:15.
"Can I pay on the way out?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"You need a ticket."
"It's just a piece of paper."
"Those are the rules."
"And he'll be here at 9:00?"
"Maybe. But it's a weekend."
"It's Tuesday!"
"Yes. The weekend for museums."
I curse the French. "But Palmyra is open on Tuesdays."
He shrugs.
I try for a bribe: "Don't you work here? You have keys to
the gate. Couldn't I pay you?"
"No. I don't have the tickets."
I resisted the urge to either pull out my hair or throttle him and make a run for it. Instead, I stomped off along one of the walls, certain that I'd just had the stupidest conversation of my life. Eventually, I rounded a bend, and saw another gate. Secret police be damned. I hopped the fence.
Inside there was...nothing. A few foundations and pits. Bound and determined to get my river view, I trekked across the scrub and rubble, climbed a small rise and, finally, there was the Euphrates. I snapped some photos and ate a victory peach.

Walking back, I discovered the main gate had been relocked and the guardian was nowhere to be found. Undeterred, I climbed back out of the ruins. Left a couple of coins by the entrance; never let it be said that I cheated the Syrian ministry of antiquities!
The ride back to town was happily uneventful.
So, I abandoned the (relatively) well-trodden tourist path and headed East. As I got further from Aleppo, a suspicion became a certainty: Damascus is not Syria. The East is mostly rural agricultural communities: poor, more conservative dress (for women and men), more Bedouin, and more 4-legged transport.
In Deir ez-Zour, where I spent the night, I couldn't have stood out more if I had grown a second head. It's a larger city, so there is more activity and fewer veils. But single, American females there are not. Being a curiosity had some interesting consequences. Lots of stares, but little hassling. Free peaches in the market and a free cab ride!Plus plenty of attention from the police. As soon as we arrived at the Deir ez-Zour terminal, I was escorted off my bus and into a cubicle for questioning. The interrogations weren't aggressive or hostile; this is simply how foreign travel in Syria works. But the list of questions does get longer once you leave the Damascus-Aleppo corridor. In addition to the usual "where are you coming from, where are
you going, what are your mother and father's names," this time I got "why are you here, how long will you stay, and in what hotel?"
Happily, I hadn't done anything illegal. Yet. Saved that for the next day, when I broke into some historic monuments.
Really, it wasn't my fault. I got an early start for Deir Europos, an ancient town on the banks of the Euphrates, about 50 km from the Iraqi border. Heading south-east, the landscape got progressively bleaker: flatter, browner, and rockier. A thick haze half-blocked the sun, giving everything a wan, sickly look. Just as I was thinking, "Can it get any more deserted or desolate?" the bus slowed. The driver gestured towards some dark lumps in the distance: "Deir Europos."

To my sanity's credit, I did consider immediately catching the next bus back to town. But I had come to see the Euphrates and, by God, that's what I was going to do!
I started walking. Happily, the haze dulled the heat. The lumps slowly resolved into broad walls and an impressive stone tower, with a locked iron gate. An unmanned ticket office stood in an empty parking lot. A man unlocked the gate and emerged from the ruins. He told me the booth would open at 9:00 a.m. It was 8:15."Can I pay on the way out?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"You need a ticket."
"It's just a piece of paper."
"Those are the rules."
"And he'll be here at 9:00?"
"Maybe. But it's a weekend."
"It's Tuesday!"
"Yes. The weekend for museums."
I curse the French. "But Palmyra is open on Tuesdays."
He shrugs.
I try for a bribe: "Don't you work here? You have keys to
the gate. Couldn't I pay you?"
"No. I don't have the tickets."
I resisted the urge to either pull out my hair or throttle him and make a run for it. Instead, I stomped off along one of the walls, certain that I'd just had the stupidest conversation of my life. Eventually, I rounded a bend, and saw another gate. Secret police be damned. I hopped the fence.
Inside there was...nothing. A few foundations and pits. Bound and determined to get my river view, I trekked across the scrub and rubble, climbed a small rise and, finally, there was the Euphrates. I snapped some photos and ate a victory peach.

Walking back, I discovered the main gate had been relocked and the guardian was nowhere to be found. Undeterred, I climbed back out of the ruins. Left a couple of coins by the entrance; never let it be said that I cheated the Syrian ministry of antiquities!
The ride back to town was happily uneventful.

3 Comments:
Glad to hear that you still remember your GATE days at La Fiesta. It's refreshing to know that some of my students actually get to visit the places that we studied about!
Kay (Brantley) Hawkins
Thanks, Kay! the debt I owe to "Mummy's Message" and those in-class Egyptian "tomb" paintings is enormous...
Try not to get arrested.
Post a Comment
<< Home