the best laid plans
Maybe I was too optimistic in my last post. Maybe the "knock on wood"s and "insh'allah"s didn't compensate for the hubris. Maybe things were just going too well and travel karma decided to kick me upside the head.
Because, I'm not in Cameroon right now. No, I'm in Lagos. Back at the University Guest House. My flight was cancelled. Which the airline didn't choose to inform me of, in spite of having my phone number. In fact, the flight may have been cancelled even before I bought my ticket, but misinformation is so rampant that they sold it to me anyway.
The next flight is not until Wednesday. Wednesday! And, since I wasn't willing to chance it with the original airline, I've had to rebook at a higher price with the one other airline that flies to Douala (Virgin Nigeria). Plus, the added expense of 3 additional nights in Lagos hotels. Plus, and worst, I've lost 3 days of research in Cameroon. Due to the May Day holiday, and travel days to and from Yaounde, I'll only have 8 business days total in the country.
I'm disappointed, and frustrated, and angry, at the airline and with myself for not checking on flights more carefully prior to arriving at the airport. The one possible silver lining is that being at the University of Lagos today increases my chances for interviewing THE most important professor working on Nigerian boundaries (he's been out of town until now). However, it's still not a sure thing; nothing is here.
The combination of uncertainty, a long night in a hotel room where I couldn't seem to vanquish the last couple mosquitoes and thus spent all night half-smothered from sleeping with a sheet over my head, and the thought of not having enough time in Cameroon to do my work properly...well, it's all pretty discouraging. I mean, I'll pull through one way or another. But it's going to be a pretty unhappy couple of days. I just hope, hope, hope that the Wednesday flight works out.
Because, I'm not in Cameroon right now. No, I'm in Lagos. Back at the University Guest House. My flight was cancelled. Which the airline didn't choose to inform me of, in spite of having my phone number. In fact, the flight may have been cancelled even before I bought my ticket, but misinformation is so rampant that they sold it to me anyway.
The next flight is not until Wednesday. Wednesday! And, since I wasn't willing to chance it with the original airline, I've had to rebook at a higher price with the one other airline that flies to Douala (Virgin Nigeria). Plus, the added expense of 3 additional nights in Lagos hotels. Plus, and worst, I've lost 3 days of research in Cameroon. Due to the May Day holiday, and travel days to and from Yaounde, I'll only have 8 business days total in the country.
I'm disappointed, and frustrated, and angry, at the airline and with myself for not checking on flights more carefully prior to arriving at the airport. The one possible silver lining is that being at the University of Lagos today increases my chances for interviewing THE most important professor working on Nigerian boundaries (he's been out of town until now). However, it's still not a sure thing; nothing is here.
The combination of uncertainty, a long night in a hotel room where I couldn't seem to vanquish the last couple mosquitoes and thus spent all night half-smothered from sleeping with a sheet over my head, and the thought of not having enough time in Cameroon to do my work properly...well, it's all pretty discouraging. I mean, I'll pull through one way or another. But it's going to be a pretty unhappy couple of days. I just hope, hope, hope that the Wednesday flight works out.

1 Comments:
Let us keep the faith that there is a reason for everything. You've watched the Sound of Music enough times to look for the "open window."
Much love and cheers,
Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home