September 01, 2010

random updates

September has rolled around and several changes are upon us. We actually moved today. Not to our own apartment, alas; we just heard that we got turned down for two more, but we also applied for two more. That brings the total number of applications to 8…surely one will work out, eventually?? In the meantime, we’re now at a university residence in Geneva, where we can stay for at least a month, while continuing to apartment hunt.

Pros of this new arrangement:
* The building is much closer to my office.
* There is a lot more going on in the area.
* Since the university residence is in Geneva, perhaps the Office Cantonal de la Population will finally be willing to issue our permits (you apparently need a residential street address, so our first visit, with the Institute’s PO Box, and our second, with the Institute’s street address, were disasters that may only be funny in the very, very distant future).
* The rent is FREE! The HR office has apparently taken pity on us/decided to make up for some of their earlier *ahem* "lackluster performance" by comping us for a month.

Cons:
* I risk running into some of my students.
* Twin beds! AUGH!!!

Overall, I still think we come out ahead (barely).


On the academic front, I don’t start classes until September 21. Since we’re on a semester system, this means that the last day of classes is, peculiarly, December 24. Can anyone say: “take home exam”?

I have been exercising some scholarly duties. I’ve just been recruited to be part of a new Institute Center on the Environment. One week in and I’m a Program Director of Environmental Security! So far, this position appears to involve a fancy title, but no immediate responsibilities, which seems like a good fit for a new assistant professor.

Yesterday, I also sat in on my first meeting of the Institute faculty. This is a much smaller group than at most institutions; there are only ~80 total permanent faculty employed here and fewer than half were in attendance. The meeting confirmed my suspicions that, not only is the Institute bilingual, but the administration is still firmly francophone. All of the circulated documents were in French, as were about 85% of the verbal exchanges. Interestingly, much of the meeting consisted of a discussion of contract renewals, with each department making pitches for its respective faculty. It was kind of shocking to be included in such things as a new faculty member, but also a VERY useful overview of tenure expectations...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home