May 20, 2006

syria is safe. no, really

As I've been preparing for this trip, I've noticed a lot more hesitation than usual from family and friends when I announce my travel destination. "Syria...aren't they in the axis of evil?" So, to set the record straight, Syria is neither in the axis of evil, the vertex of villany, nor the parbola of shiftiness (thanks, Jon Stewart). It's a fairly secular state, relatively good on women's rights and, contrary to popular belief, locals are not in the habit of eating their young--or visiting tourists. Although our much-beloved US government has designated Syria a "state sponsor of terrorism" it has not seen fit to issue a travel warning for the country. Everyone I've talked to, books and blogs I've read, etc., says that Syria is an extremely safe place to visit and that people go out of their way to be friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Yes, even to Americans! I will be far safer in Damascus than I am in Chicago--or just about any other part of the US or Europe. Well, except when facing the Damascene traffic, which I've heard is diabolical.

But why should you trust me? Here are a couple random but representative blog postings from people that have actually been there. Very reassuring and some great pics!

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/04-12/kidnapped-by-syrian-hospitality-syria.html

http://tblogs.bootsnall.com/km//archives/016789.shtml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home