sick and tired in lebanon
This post is actually NOT about the current situation in Lebanon. I thought everyone could use a break, so I'm summarizing my travels outside of Beirut. The titular "sick and tired" is literal; I spent most of these four days under the weather. As result, this was not one of my more enjoyable vacations. Nonetheless, there were still some good sites and stories.
Day 1: Beittedine and the Adonis Valley
Beittedine is an 18th (?) century castle built by a local Ottoman ruler and his Italian architects. It's up in the mountains SE of Beirut. Some nice ornamentation, an impressive museum of Roman mosaics, and a great garden for views and picnics. I munched on fruit from the organic farmers' market in Beirut.
Nausea level: low, except for the beginning of the day, when I tried to catch a service taxi from the chaotic "Cola" bus terminal. There are few things more frustrating than knowing you're being deliberately decieved by unscrupulous cab drivers. I delivered an impressive arabic tirade then figured, "screw it, can't hurt" and dissolved into tears. A local came to my rescue, offering consolation, a slushie, and assistance finding a bus. I felt all of about 6 years old, but made it to my destination with all but dignity intact.
Day 2: Tarablus (Tripoli)

A Northern port city (well, until yesterday; there's no longer any port) with a crusader castle (still intact, as far as I know) and winding souqs, filled with medieval khans (travelers' inns), madrassas (Qur'anic schools), and mosques. Apparently things get more traditional when you get out of Beirut. My measure? Chickens are bought still squawking.
Nausea level: moderate to high. I spent the afternoon swimming and sunbathing on a rocky island of the Tripolitan coast. Lovely Mediterranean frolicking, but too much time in the sun waiting for the boat back. Got to the Palace Hotel (appropriately named--see photo) and collapsed for about 6 hours. Dragged self out of bed and into lobby to watch World Cup final. At halftime, begged travel companion to bring drugs, since I couldn't keep water down. Those knocked me into a coma and I was only able to prop my eyelids open to watch the penalty kicks. When Italy wone, mine was the quietest joy ever witnessed, but it was joy, nonetheless.
Day 3: Qadisha Valley, Bcharre, The Ceders


The road out of Tripoli rapidly climbs into the Mt. Lebanon range, home to precariously perched red-roofed villages. It wasn't quite the Alpine wonderland I was hoping for, but the views were great. The Cedars are Lebanon's national tree and were the backbone of the Phoenecian trading empire. There are only a few stands left in the country. This one is very peaceful and meticulously preserved; it's probably the one place in Lebanon you can't smoke. This is also Khalil Gibran country.
Nausea level: moderate. Although I woke up much improved, I promptly cancelled that out by going up to altitude. Hiking plans were tabled and, instead of hitching across the (next) mountain range, I caught an outrageously expensive taxi. The perk was a very sweet grandfatherly driver who took this photo of me--after carving steps out of the slick snow--and bought me an ice cream during the descent.
Day 4: Bekaa Valley: Baalkek, Zahle, and the Caves de Ksara
This area is the Imperial Valley of Lebanon: agricultural, Mediterranean climate, and dotted with villages. The big distinction is that it's also endowed with some of the world's most impressive and intact Roman ruins. My hotel had a sunset view of them. Zahle is a pleasant hilly resort town, packed with "riverside" restaurants that are threatening to choke out the already heavily-canalized local stream.
Nausea level: moderate. Pulled myself together for a morning at the ruins, then napped in a public garden in Zahle--after the elderly groundskeeper brought me a freshly cut bouquet. Oddly, a trip to the Ksara Caves for wine tasting left me feeling a bit better. The wine was mediocre, so maybe it was the naturally cool caves; they've been used to store wine since Roman times.
Day 1: Beittedine and the Adonis Valley

Beittedine is an 18th (?) century castle built by a local Ottoman ruler and his Italian architects. It's up in the mountains SE of Beirut. Some nice ornamentation, an impressive museum of Roman mosaics, and a great garden for views and picnics. I munched on fruit from the organic farmers' market in Beirut.
Nausea level: low, except for the beginning of the day, when I tried to catch a service taxi from the chaotic "Cola" bus terminal. There are few things more frustrating than knowing you're being deliberately decieved by unscrupulous cab drivers. I delivered an impressive arabic tirade then figured, "screw it, can't hurt" and dissolved into tears. A local came to my rescue, offering consolation, a slushie, and assistance finding a bus. I felt all of about 6 years old, but made it to my destination with all but dignity intact.Day 2: Tarablus (Tripoli)

A Northern port city (well, until yesterday; there's no longer any port) with a crusader castle (still intact, as far as I know) and winding souqs, filled with medieval khans (travelers' inns), madrassas (Qur'anic schools), and mosques. Apparently things get more traditional when you get out of Beirut. My measure? Chickens are bought still squawking.
Nausea level: moderate to high. I spent the afternoon swimming and sunbathing on a rocky island of the Tripolitan coast. Lovely Mediterranean frolicking, but too much time in the sun waiting for the boat back. Got to the Palace Hotel (appropriately named--see photo) and collapsed for about 6 hours. Dragged self out of bed and into lobby to watch World Cup final. At halftime, begged travel companion to bring drugs, since I couldn't keep water down. Those knocked me into a coma and I was only able to prop my eyelids open to watch the penalty kicks. When Italy wone, mine was the quietest joy ever witnessed, but it was joy, nonetheless.Day 3: Qadisha Valley, Bcharre, The Ceders


The road out of Tripoli rapidly climbs into the Mt. Lebanon range, home to precariously perched red-roofed villages. It wasn't quite the Alpine wonderland I was hoping for, but the views were great. The Cedars are Lebanon's national tree and were the backbone of the Phoenecian trading empire. There are only a few stands left in the country. This one is very peaceful and meticulously preserved; it's probably the one place in Lebanon you can't smoke. This is also Khalil Gibran country.
Nausea level: moderate. Although I woke up much improved, I promptly cancelled that out by going up to altitude. Hiking plans were tabled and, instead of hitching across the (next) mountain range, I caught an outrageously expensive taxi. The perk was a very sweet grandfatherly driver who took this photo of me--after carving steps out of the slick snow--and bought me an ice cream during the descent.Day 4: Bekaa Valley: Baalkek, Zahle, and the Caves de Ksara

This area is the Imperial Valley of Lebanon: agricultural, Mediterranean climate, and dotted with villages. The big distinction is that it's also endowed with some of the world's most impressive and intact Roman ruins. My hotel had a sunset view of them. Zahle is a pleasant hilly resort town, packed with "riverside" restaurants that are threatening to choke out the already heavily-canalized local stream.
Nausea level: moderate. Pulled myself together for a morning at the ruins, then napped in a public garden in Zahle--after the elderly groundskeeper brought me a freshly cut bouquet. Oddly, a trip to the Ksara Caves for wine tasting left me feeling a bit better. The wine was mediocre, so maybe it was the naturally cool caves; they've been used to store wine since Roman times.

8 Comments:
it sounds like you have very good luck with older gentlemen of the grandfatherly persuasion. not sure what I should read into that about you, or about Lebanon.
Enjoyed the narrative and the photos. Hope you are feeling better.
Hope you are feeling better. Your explanation of the situation is helpful especially after watching CNN on the evening news and listening to Ms Rice among others. It's definitely disconcerting irregardless though to keep thinking of you there in this potentially heightening situation....I know we said if before but stay safe...Love, Pam
I think it is Baalbeck..not two ks
Probably pretty much rubble by now as it is at least one center of Hezbollah.Losing Tyre and the antiquities is very sad--like losing Palmyra..God willing that won't happen..Joan
Emily your blog was mentioned in the Press Democrat today. you probablly know that. Damascus was peopled with fabulous friendly people who waneed to wish theri way out fo US Arab confrontations when I wa there. There was one non political place, the Tomb of Ibn Arabi. Not much architecture but the place that brings me back to Damas each time. I have $500 for someone to help me research the tomb of Shihabaddin Suwardi in Allepo or shoudl I say right out side of the city walls. Any interest? Michaelgest@aol.com.
Sebastopol
I really like the second photo.
Just to clarify on the attacks, as far as I know no historical sites have been destroyed. The targets in Baalbek were political and the Israelis, whatever else one might say about them, have pretty sophisticated weapons that *usually* stay approximately on target.
Hi, Emily
I'm afraid I'm not a very good blog responder, but I've really enjoyed keeping up with your posts. Thanks for them. Hope you're feeling better!
Jacob
Post a Comment
<< Home