September 05, 2006

where do we go from here?

I have returned, safe and sound, to Chicago. For anyone traveling through Heathrow in the next few months, some words of warning: unless you want to do a mad dash sprint to your gate, arrive AT LEAST 3 1/2 hours before departure. At least if you're flying American Airlines. Expect multiple pat downs and shoe removals. And, whatever, you do, DON'T accidentally leave your swiss army knife in your carry-on bag! Yes, my longtime travel companion and I have been regretfully separated. But at least BAA let me on the plane.

Chicago is providing its own set of culture shocks; the trees are particularly impressive. They didn't always look like they belong in the Amazon rain forest, did they?? Other things are more subtle; the strange absence of the call to prayer, the oddity of American traffic patterns. And the simple lingering sensation that something isn't quite right. For 3 mornings in a row, I've woken up not knowing where I am. It's taken a few disoriented and slightly panicked moments of deliberation to figure out that it's my bed in Chicago. Damascus definitely got to me.

But I'm very glad to be home and looking forward to getting back to work. Which means, dissertation work. Or, at least, political science paper work.

So, what happens to the blog?

Over the next two weeks, it will slide into a graceful (insh'allah) and well-deserved retirement; the blog is, after all, approaching 65 posts. There are still a few things I want to put up on Syria and on the post-conflict situation in Lebanon. And updates will appear irregularly, especially if either of those topics makes a dramatic reentry into the press cycle. But people seeking a consistent procrastination aid will have to look elsewhere.

Thanks very much to everyone that has been reading and commenting for these three months; from my end it's been an entertaining and enlightening experience, and I appreciate the public indulgence. If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask about Syria/Lebanon/Arabic study or topics they'd like to hear more about before the blog goes into hibernation, post them in a comment and I'll do my best to respond.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog has been a wonderful source of commentary. I'll miss it.
Dad

9:59 PM  
Blogger Papasan said...

Thanks for the window into Syria -- it couldn't have been at a more interesting time. Your blog became essential reading to gain understanding beyond the US media.

Welcome back Stateside.

Cheers,
Dan R.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

I am sure that everyone wants to see more pictures of castles and archaeology.

10:00 AM  
Blogger biglou said...

I've enjoyed getting to hear about Syria from the inside, and getting a taste of both touristy things and local politics (decidely non-touristy). Plus, who doesn't love to kill time on the Internet?

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thanks go all to you; I have recommended the blog to any number of people (most recently Leah, from my class at Middlebury--grad student from Yale, petite, of Iranian background--who is thinking about Syria next summer).

I will look occasionally to see what else you are thinking about. Meanwhile, happy culture shock!

K. H.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally think you should write something about social stratification in Syria, especially along sex/gender lines. From what you have said about it already, it sounds really fascinating. I love hearing stories about the vastly different assumptions that structure people's day-to-day lives.

You could also write about the different assumptions that structure the day-to-day lives in the strange foreign land of this cal-ee-for-nya I have heard so much about.

Or you could just enjoy your time there and read some Arabic Harry Potter.

-SK

1:50 AM  
Blogger Andrew Dilts said...

you should, of course, just be sure to hurry up and get back from the soverign state of CA as soon as possible.

9:51 PM  
Blogger deva said...

it may be in the natural order for some animals to hibernate during winter, but humankind has always resisted such urges. perhaps that is why i'm so sad to see your blog go and will further (inappropriately) urge you to consider that emily's posts might have a useful place in your everyday chicago life.

just a thought (because a little resistance is good for the soul).

my best,
D

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home