June 26, 2006

getting my culture on

In the off moments when I haven't been in class, studying, tracking down food, or indulging in various forms of aquatic therapy, I've managed to sqeeze in a variety of cultural events here in Damascus. As the capital city, with a population of 5+ million, there's always plenty going on--and most of it is free!

First, I went to see the movie "Sifara fi il-Aimara" at the Cham Cinema. It stars the Egyptian actor Adel Imam, who has made a bunch of comedies, including "Irhab wa Kebab" (trans: "Terrorism and Kebabs"). His films are a mix of comedy and social/political commentary. In "Sifara" he plays an Egyptian businessman who, after spending 20 years in Dubai, returns to his old apartment in Cairo, only to find that the Israeli Embassy has moved in next door. It's pretty fabulous, especially the part parodying the Muslim Brotherhood. The establishing shots of Dubai are also spectacular, in a freaky sort of way. I was having Coleridge associations ("In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree..." I knew that English lit class would come in handy!) If you get the chance to see "Sifara" or "Kebab," I'd highly recommend both. And, yes, they're subtitled in English.

Second, I saw a play at one of the local theaters. I would give the title if I could remember it and the plot if I had understood it, but my Arabic skills failed me for this one. Seemed to have been a family drama. The really interesting part is that it was set in...China? Japan? The cultural studies geek in me was going nuts watching "the East" portray the (further) East. Hey, 2 hours in a language you can't really comprehend will have you devoting lots of attention to scenery, too!

Third, I saw a play last night at the French Cultural Center: "Au Pere Tranquille," performed by young Syrians who are studying at the Center. Happily, my French language skills proved better than the Arabic ones. Also, I got to cheat, since after the first 10 minutes I realized I had seen a film version of the play a few years ago! Also highly recommended. The most impressive thing about this production wasn't the students' language skills (all excellent) but their mastery of french mannerisms. I was totally culturally and linguistically disoriented by the end.


Happily, it seems to have passed. Even got through my midterm with solid marks.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tests, in summer school? don't they know you have pools to swim in and plays to see?

congrats!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Andrew Dilts said...

mmmmmmm..... culture. nice.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home