June 12, 2006

world cup!

I love traveling during World Cup. Everyone is very excited and there's always at least one shared subject for conversation. Plus, it's a nice excuse to take a break in the afternoon or evening and head over to a cafe--which, happily, is perfectly appropriate for a single female in the neighborhood I'm living in.

However, before arriving in Syria, I was faced with a conundrum. What team do I route for? The US seemed like a less than stellar choice, for political reasons and because we're not likely to make it out of the first round. Who do the locals support, I wondered. Tunisia, maybe? Saudi Arabia? Iran?

No, it turns out that Syrians root for Brazil.


Or Germany, or maybe Argentina. So much for pan-Arabism. But, as something of a fair weather fan myself, I have to respect the desire to support the best. And, as a local told me, the Syrian national team looks more like the guys that run after the balls that go out of play.

On an unrelated note, the house seems to be working out well. My fellow lodgers are a guy named Mike from Lebanon and one named Johnny (these are arab names???) from Lattakia. Both are nice and low key and willing to be subjected to my bad arabic.

The one challenge with the room is the Syrian penchant for large, rock solid pillows. Today I went to the souq in search of a replacement. This turned out to be a fool's errand; I think I have to either adjust or make one myself. Still, it says a lot about how things are going that my biggest concern is pillows.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Emily! This is really cool. The only other blog I've ever replied to is Aryanna Huffington's! Sounds like things are going well. HAVE FUN! Nancy

9:44 PM  
Blogger The Bionic Arabist said...

I enjoy the blog dearly, Emily. Time to resume my own blogorrhea.

- Jon

9:45 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

Ha! Sellout. You at least have to root for the US for the next two games until they are out of the Cup. After their last performance there is no way that they are going to make it out of pool play anyway. Then you can switch to Brazil.

1:13 AM  
Blogger deva said...

aww come on. do you really want to root for the sure thing? at least pick and additional team who's an underdog. then you can have your neon yellow and green as well as some more subdued, struggling banner...

in any case, glad things are well!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest Ukraine. They are the only team to lose worse than the US in their first game, yet they still have a much, much better chance of advancing.

Then again, they are playing the Saudis next -- there may not be much pan-Arabic sentiment, but rooting for pseudo-Russians against the Holy Land might not go over well.

How rebellious are you feeling?
-D. Ransom

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,
I just was catching up on all of your communications. Saw the one inquiring about wedding pictures. Don't know if you will be able to pick it up but if you go to www.juliewilsonphotography.com get into the site..then go to recent events..scroll down to McPherson/Kimmell wedding..password is Kimmell (610 pics!) Take care. Pam

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home