marhaban
Welcome to the blog! The pertinent details for anyone that knew about this trip before getting the recent email announcement are that I depart from O'Hare at 10:50 p.m. and that, if all goes well, the next post will arrive either from Heathrow or Damascus. For those of you that weren't in the know and/or aren't already bored to sobs with details about this trip, read on.
I'm traveling to Syria to study Arabic for 2 months at the University of Damascus. I'll be following that with 2-3 weeks of travel/"fieldwork" throughout the country. The trip is theoretically related to my dissertation, which is on the international politics of natural resources, and regionally focused in the Middle East. In practice, the trip may really just be an extreme expression of my latent orientalism, brought on by too many viewings of Lawrence of Arabia.
But, whatever the reason, I'm taking off tonight and will be arriving in Damascus on the morning of June 7. I'm staying in a hostel for a couple of nights while looking for long-term accomodation, hopefully with a local family. My classes start on June 11. Practical details like a local address and phone number will follow once they exist! I depart Damascus on August 28, spend a couple days in London, and return to Chicago on September 1.
Blog postings obviously dependent on internet access, but hopefully will be able to chronicle at least a few (mis)adventures. Looking forward to comments!
I'm traveling to Syria to study Arabic for 2 months at the University of Damascus. I'll be following that with 2-3 weeks of travel/"fieldwork" throughout the country. The trip is theoretically related to my dissertation, which is on the international politics of natural resources, and regionally focused in the Middle East. In practice, the trip may really just be an extreme expression of my latent orientalism, brought on by too many viewings of Lawrence of Arabia.
But, whatever the reason, I'm taking off tonight and will be arriving in Damascus on the morning of June 7. I'm staying in a hostel for a couple of nights while looking for long-term accomodation, hopefully with a local family. My classes start on June 11. Practical details like a local address and phone number will follow once they exist! I depart Damascus on August 28, spend a couple days in London, and return to Chicago on September 1.
Blog postings obviously dependent on internet access, but hopefully will be able to chronicle at least a few (mis)adventures. Looking forward to comments!

4 Comments:
Hi emily!
yay! we miss you! come back safely!
exams are over! i'm a different person. don't do anything I wouldn't.
xoxox
s
so sorry i didn't get to see you before you left! i am looking forward to reading your adventures though. oh, and i know syria is safe, but you make extra sure to bring yourself back ion one piece anyway.
-d
Remember the #1 rule of travel. Do not engage in any activities that might result in another peron having to phone your mother from the hospital.
; )
You also might want to think about turning on the "word verification for comments?" feature. It will keep auto-spam from being posted in your comments section. You can find it in the comments heading under the settings tab. Just switch the dot to yes and then press save at the bottom.
the kitchen is already a mess. that was fast.
Post a Comment
<< Home