July 21, 2006

personal update

As some readers have noted, the last week of blogging hasn't provided much info about what I'm actually up to these days. This is obviously largely the result of current events. But it's also because life in Syria has become much more routine.

When I returned from Lebanon, I was struck by how EASY everything was. I could go anywhere I wanted without hassles and buy anything I wanted without searching. People were familiar and even the language seemed easier. It was like coming home.

I've also decided to dedicate this month to my arabic studies, which has imposed limits on extracurricular activities. So, there's less to report. Study-wise, I'm now working with a private tutor, who is whipping my vocabulary into shape. It's exhausting, but has finally pushed me off of a 6+ month linguistic plateau: the arabic Great Leap Forward.

Yesterday I started doing some thesis-related research at IFEAD, the French Middle Eastern Studies center in Damascus. They've got a well-stocked and air conditioned library. Most of the sources are in French or Arabic but somehow my proficiency in the former has magically progressed of its own accord and is now research-capable. An anticipated but much-appreciated bonus of studying a harder language???

I'm also still swimming 3 mornings a week and day-tripping a bit on weekends. And I've started cooking (a bit) more in my flat. The vegetables are to die for. Though spending time over the stove is a challenge. Summer has arrived with a vengeance with most days topping out around 40 degrees C. No, I don't know--nor do I want to--what that is in F. Although, from what I hear, I'm not suffering alone.

In other news, if I can free up a few hours in my schedule, I might try to volunteer at one of the refugee shelters that have sprung up in Damascus in the last week. In addition to the sudden influx of Gulf tourists--who dominated the news during the first few days of attacks and have filled up all 4 and 5-star hotels in the capital--there have been huge numbers of displaced Lebanese entering Syria.

They're staying in schools, community centers, and, rumor has it, a sports center or stadium. Info is scarce, especially on how the country is going to cope with all these new residents--on top of its already substantial populations of Iraqi and Palestinian refugees. Hopefully, the international community will jump in to help, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Iran or the Gulf States.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo 'alaiki yaa Habibtii! The feeling of coming home, in a difficult part of the world, is very rewarding--as are the Great Leap Forward (whether 1, 2, or 3--yes, there are levels beyond, I'm afraid), and the magic improvement of other languages. For me it has worked with everything but German; somehow that one still demands vocabulary I'm too lazy to go after.

Do stay well, and keep eating the beautiful vegetables. Some are even good raw....

K. H.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ems,
Sounds like your weather is right up there with what the family in CA is expeiencing. I just know 37 degrees is 98.6! Keep cool! Good luck with the studying! HUGS! PM

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home