Round 3
Hello to old readers and newbies, Emily's Posts is back online! This is for two reasons.
1) I'm going to be traveling, and travel posts are a lot more entertaining
2) I'm not currently in the process of applying for anything
Actually, number 2 is not quite true. I'm still waiting to hear back on a couple of fellowships, but, since I've got one secured, I'm less paranoid. For those that haven't heard, I'm going to be at CISAC (the Center for International Security and Cooperation) at Stanford next fall, as a predoctoral fellow. This means that LMA and I will be moving to San Francisco, so we can split the Oakland and Palo Alto commutes. If anyone knows of an affordable (ha!) apartment within easy biking distance of BART and/or Caltrain available August 1, let us know...
As for reason number 1, on April 7th I'm departing for 6 weeks of research in Nigeria and Cameroon. This possibly terribly misguided research effort is supposed to provide the substance for one of my key dissertation cases, on the interstate conflict over the Cameroon-Nigeria boundary. My plan is to talk to local academics and people within the national governments to understand how the two countries resolved their highly contentious dispute fairly peacefully.
That's the theory, anyway. In practice, we'll see. On the security front, I have no intention to travel to the Niger Delta, the more dangerous part of the region, so I'm not overly concerned about personal security (although, credit card fraud...). My vaccines are up to date, I've got my visa and my malaria medication, some good maps and at least a few contacts on the ground. There are plenty of Western Unions for cash hook ups (see pervious parentheses about credit card fraud...) As usual with field work, though, success will be largely dependent upon the kindness of strangers. So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
I may continue to post on facebook, but this will be the real place to come for updates. I've heard internet is ubiquitous, so hopefully those will be frequent. Wish me luck!
1) I'm going to be traveling, and travel posts are a lot more entertaining
2) I'm not currently in the process of applying for anything
Actually, number 2 is not quite true. I'm still waiting to hear back on a couple of fellowships, but, since I've got one secured, I'm less paranoid. For those that haven't heard, I'm going to be at CISAC (the Center for International Security and Cooperation) at Stanford next fall, as a predoctoral fellow. This means that LMA and I will be moving to San Francisco, so we can split the Oakland and Palo Alto commutes. If anyone knows of an affordable (ha!) apartment within easy biking distance of BART and/or Caltrain available August 1, let us know...
As for reason number 1, on April 7th I'm departing for 6 weeks of research in Nigeria and Cameroon. This possibly terribly misguided research effort is supposed to provide the substance for one of my key dissertation cases, on the interstate conflict over the Cameroon-Nigeria boundary. My plan is to talk to local academics and people within the national governments to understand how the two countries resolved their highly contentious dispute fairly peacefully.
That's the theory, anyway. In practice, we'll see. On the security front, I have no intention to travel to the Niger Delta, the more dangerous part of the region, so I'm not overly concerned about personal security (although, credit card fraud...). My vaccines are up to date, I've got my visa and my malaria medication, some good maps and at least a few contacts on the ground. There are plenty of Western Unions for cash hook ups (see pervious parentheses about credit card fraud...) As usual with field work, though, success will be largely dependent upon the kindness of strangers. So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
I may continue to post on facebook, but this will be the real place to come for updates. I've heard internet is ubiquitous, so hopefully those will be frequent. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:
Well, the house right across the street from us is available for rent, but I doubt you'd consider it either affordable or easy biking distance to BART or Caltrain.
However, as your search for housing goes forward I am available for consultation on location/neighborhood issues, because that is one of the Areas of My Expertise.
thanks! I will definitely take you up on that.
Does that mean there are secret hobo signals in the house across the street?
Post a Comment
<< Home