the type-Arabic personality
Are you obsessive? Driven? Stubborn as a mule? Have others described you as "intense" or "tightly wound"? Are you a fan of logic puzzles? Do you feel vaguely uncomfortable and/or guilty when not engaged in productive work? Have you spent significant segments of your life in therapy?
If so, Arabic language study may be for you! Keep your brain busy while meeting other well-intentioned and only slightly socially awkward colleagues! You can even use your skills to serve the public good (because you KNOW you want to)! For more information on this exciting opportunity, call your State Department representative today!
OK, so maybe that's a slight overgeneralization. But after a while, you start to see a pattern. Seriously. What IS it with this language???
If so, Arabic language study may be for you! Keep your brain busy while meeting other well-intentioned and only slightly socially awkward colleagues! You can even use your skills to serve the public good (because you KNOW you want to)! For more information on this exciting opportunity, call your State Department representative today!
OK, so maybe that's a slight overgeneralization. But after a while, you start to see a pattern. Seriously. What IS it with this language???

7 Comments:
erm, i think you just sketched the personality of most doctoral students...
it would be nifty if there were ads targeting such personalities specifically. you should write some (in english, french and arabic!). perhaps it can be a part of your public service ;0)
Wow, I think you have just explained why I got the hell out of academia.
Okay, there's my love-hate, on-off relationship with academia in general and Arabic in specific in a nutshell. Sigh. I used to call it throwing good time after bad, but then I just shut up and, er, enjoyed it.
%]
and former doctoral students.
I *knew* German was too easy!
ok, fair point about the broad applicability to grad students. but plenty of the people here are undergrads and surely not ALL of the, are destined for the academy...
I am not sure if I have ever heard you describe yourself so well.
; )
I am glad to see that you are having a god time.
Good to hear you describe it that way. For some reason, the program here in Yemen has so many carefree but brilliant lovers-of-life that I was starting to doubt my sanity.
-Jon
Post a Comment
<< Home